Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Welcome to my new blog

Jan 25 was a historic day for Egyptians everywhere. This was the day our Egyptian brothers and sisters broke away from fear of former president Hosni Mubarak's regime. Through the use of social media, specifically Facebook and Twitter, a pro-democracy revolution was born and over a period of 18 days, Egyptian men and women endured police brutality and violence and the world watched these peaceful protesters as they maintained their strength, courage and "silmeya," or peacefulness. 

Egyptians forced Mubarak to step down on February 11, 2011.

Like many of my fellow Egyptians, this was the happiest and proudest day of my life. This was the day I decided to create a new blog to share my thoughts on topics that I am most passionate about: Egypt, the Middle East and Media Representation.

So welcome to my new blog, Tahrir Square. The name itself was inspired by Egyptian demonstrations, which came to be know by Tahrir, or Liberty square, the downtown Cairo square, where millions stood for 18 days chanting slogans and calling for the fall of Mubarak's regime.

The views on this blog are my personal views as an Egyptian American Muslim female, a former journalist, a current journalism professor, a mother, a wife, a daughter and sister. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment